Course fees - TAFE Queensland

Skip links and keyboard navigation

Site navigation

Course fees

The good news is that heaps of our courses are subsidised by the government, and we have a great range of payment options, concessions, and credit transfer options - so why wouldn't you make the most of it?

What will my course cost?

The cost of your TAFE Queensland course depends on a number of factors, such as:

  • the course
  • the length of your course
  • whether you are studying full-time, part-time or online
  • if you can gain course credits through recognition of prior learning
  • your eligibility for concessions, fee exemptions or subsidies.

When do I have to pay?

If you are paying upfront, course fees are paid at the time of enrolment. Payment can be made by credit card or BPAY.

If you are deferring your fees using VET Student Loans you will be required to repay your loan through the Australian taxation system once you hit an earnings threshold.

If you have been approved for a payment plan you'll pay your fees in instalments. The frequency and amount will depend on your individual payment plan.

Can I get a discount on my course fee?

Everyone loves a good discount and there are a range of subsidies provided to eligible TAFE Queensland students:

Government subsidised fee

To be eligible for the government subsidised fee you must:

  • not hold or be currently enrolled in a certificate III or higher level qualification (does not include qualifications completed in secondary school)
  • be 15 years or older
  • have completed or left secondary school
  • be an Australian citizen or permanent resident residing in Queensland, or New Zealand citizen permanently residing in Queensland.

If you are not eligible for the government subsidised fee, the full fee will apply.

Concession fee

To be eligible for the concession fee, you must meet the government subsidised fee requirements, as well as one of the following criteria:

  • be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • have a current Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card
  • hold a Department of Veterans' Affairs Pensioner Concession Card.

Proof of eligibility may be requested to support your concession status, such as:

  • proof of I.D. (e.g. birth certificate, student ID with photo, passport, driver's license)
  • advice from Department of Education, Training and Employment (DETE) that Abstudy has been approved
  • a declaration from the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community group or from a TAFE Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander officer.

Other financial assistance

Don't meet the criteria above? Not to worry, the Australian government has a number of financial assistance schemes no matter what your circumstances.

Check out what financial support you are eligible for.

What if I'm completely broke?

If you're suffering from extreme financial hardship you can apply for assistance. One of our counsellors will work with you to find a solution - contact your local TAFE Queensland team for more information.