There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
The following Selection criteria requirements apply only to Domestic Students:
To study an apprenticeship or traineeship program you must be indentured as an apprentice or trainee with your employer.
Employers need to be able to provide the necessary human and physical resources to qualify for an apprentice.
The following Selection criteria requirements apply only to International Students:
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 5.5 (no individual band less than 5.0) or ISLPR 2+ on all skills or other - View a list of all English Language tests accepted by TAFE Queensland International
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. View more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place. TAFE Queensland has entered an agreement with Union Institute of Language (UIL) to facilitate the provision of the welfare services (fees apply).
You are responsible for meeting the minimum occupational health and safety requirements in practical classes. This includes the use of safety glasses, protective footwear with covered uppers, steel capped toes and non-slip soles to AS2210, long leather gloves to AS2161, ear protection - ear muffs or ear plugs that conform to the Australian Standard AS 1269 or 1270, hair protection - long hair (i.e. hair below collar length) must be restrained (hat, headband, or hair tie). You should also wear 100% cotton drill industry-standard clothing. If you fail to meet these minimum standards of dress, you will not be permitted entry into practical classes.
You will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
Materials list: Training record book. Scale rule: metric 1:1, 1:2, 1:5, 1:10. Set square: 60°, 30°, 45° (size 8 or 10). Folding metre rule (carpenters). 8m tape measure. Pens. Pencil HB, 2H and 4H. Eraser. Pencil sharpener. Calculator (non-scientific is fine).
It is recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
Personal protective equipment:
- safety glasses - students must wear these at all times in the workshop, or any eye hazard area as specified by the teacher
- protective footwear - covered uppers, steel capped toes and non-slip shoes to AS2210
- ear protection - ear muffs or ear plugs that conform to the Australian Standard AS 1269 or 1270.
- hair protection - long hair (i.e. hair below collar length) must be restrained (hat, headband, or hair tie)
- protective clothing (100% cotton drill) - sleeved cotton work wear or employer supplied unifrom must be worn at all times
Students failing to meet these minimum standards of dress will not be permitted entry in to practical classes.
- training record book
- scale rule: metric 1:1, 1:2, 1:5, 1:10
- set square: 60°, 30°, 45° (size 8 or 10)
- folding meter rule (carpenters)
- metre scale 8 m tape
- pencil HB, 2H and 4H
- pencil sharpener
- calculator (non-scientific is fine)
Courses may require different resources, depending on your study location.
Some qualifications require students to participate in vocational placement to successfully complete and achieve their TAFE Queensland award. If vocational placement is a course requirement it will be organised by your School/Faculty and you will be provided with all the information you need to prepare. Remember you are responsible for ensuring you have met all the requirements to participate in vocational placement.
During these placements, you may become familiar with information that is confidential to that workplace (for example financial or business affairs, personal affairs and family background of staff and clients, technical information, trade secrets, know-how, formulae, processes, ideas, and inventions). You must not divulge any confidential information that you become aware of during a placement. Breaches of confidentiality will be considered to be acts of behavioural misconduct and may result in disciplinary action.
Need to know
All students must hold a valid White Card or complete unit CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry (White Card). This is a legislative requirement for entry onto any Queensland construction work site.
If you DO NOT currently hold a White Card, some TAFE Queensland locations deliver this unit as part of this course. If your chosen location does not offer this unit as part of the course please contact the Customer Service Centre for information on how to complete this unit at an additional cost.