Jewellery has been a part of our lives for over 7,000 years, marking important rites of passage as well as embellishing our bodies.
Whether you wish to learn something new or want to start a career in the jewellery industry, you will benefit from this course. Under the guidance of an experienced tutor, you will learn all of the Silversmithing techniques you need to know how to make beautiful drop earrings, bracelets and a pendant in the most equipment savvy ways. Simple design outlines will be provided, however you will be encouraged to develop your own unique designs using newly learned skills.
View some of your tutor's fantastic work on instagram @lexidecora.
Topics covered in this course include:
Basic health and safety training and basic skills acquisition
- Demonstrations: marking metals for cutting, sawing and drilling
- Exercise: You will be working on acquisition of core silversmithing techniques, such as using metal marking and metal cutting tools, and using a jewellers saw frame
A drop earring construction
- Demonstrations: a classic earring hook construction using Foredom flexishaft for drilling; filing and sanding, design basics
- Exercise: Following a design outline you will create a pair of silver drop earrings
A bracelet construction
- Demonstrations: creating handcrafted chain links, drilling delicate components, cold joining chain links
- Exercise: You will start working on the components for the bracelet
A bracelet construction – continued
- Demonstration: Making a classic ‘S’ clasp
- Exercise: Bracelet assembly completion
Basics of stone setting and pendant construction
- Demonstrations: Design principles for setting stones using tabs
- Exercise: You will start working on your pendants
Basics of stone setting and pendant construction – continued
- Demonstrations: pendant hanging systems (wrapped loops, jump springs and bails)
- Exercise: Pendant assembly completion
This short course is non-accredited therefore is not registered with the National Training Register