- Currently enrolled students within a Certificate III level or higher course in Community Services or Health
- Currently must be working in industry within Community Services or Health and have a workplace that can provide and support placement of 40 hours.
You must also:
- have sound literacy, numeracy and computer skills equivalent to Year 10.
- be prepared to participate in the required hours of vocational placement and hold the necessary mandatory documentation.
- USB storage device.
- Students will be required to access online content as part of this course so, are encouraged to bring their own tablet or laptop to class; TAFE Queensland laptops will be available in class. Desktop computers are available on campus for all students to access in their own time.
You may be required to have full COVID-19 vaccination to undertake vocational placement in a range of Community Services organisations. Potential students are advised to seek current information as policies may be updated.
You are responsible for:
- organising your own transport to and from study and vocational placement as well as any domestic arrangements
- organising leave with your employer (if applicable)
- planning financially for your unpaid vocational placement
If a current TAFE Queensland student, you will undertake mandatory vocational placement in line with your course schedule which will be sourced and coordinated on your behalf. Our Vocational Placement Team will work in collaboration with you and facilities to coordinate vocational placement activity, and you will be provided with due notice for shift work.
For those working in industry and not a current TAFE Queensland student, vocational placement must be arranged in your current workplace. You will need to speak with a member of the Vocational Placement team immediately after enrolment to confirm these details.
Condition of enrolment - privacy
Student details are provided to Health Care and Community Service organisations for the purposes of vocational placement. A minimum of 40 hours of vocational placement is a core element of this program and therefore it is a condition of enrolment that you consent to the release of your information accordingly.
Please note: The Health Industry dictates that TAFE Queensland must ensure that all students going on placement in health care facilities hold the following documentation. Students are not eligible to attend mandatory vocational placement assessment without these documents. There will be a strict timeframe for students to provide the necessary placement requirements. Not attending vocational placement assessment will delay course progression.
1. Working with Children Check
Queensland students - The Working with Children Check (Blue Card Application) must be completed in person for Queensland students who live less than 50 kms from a TAFE Queensland campus. Information can be viewed at http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au. All original identification documents need to be sighted and students are requested to bring these documents with them for submission of their application. If a student resides more than 50 kms from a TAFE Queensland campus, the ‘Confirmation of Identity’ form must be submitted with the Blue Card application. Students may submit this by email or in person.
Interstate students - must refer to their state websites for further information on how to apply for a Working with Children Check.
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
2. Australian Federal Police Check (AFP)
Potential students are advised to contact the Vocational Placement Coordinator should they have any notification or criminal history as this may impact on their acceptance by facilities for placement assessment and therefore affect course outcomes. Students must be able to provide an original Australian Federal Police check on request of a facility at any time. Please refer to the Australian Federal Police website to download the application form at http://www.afp.gov.au. Approximate cost $45.00 (N.B: The certificate MUST be issued by the Australian Federal Police (all other types of police checks will not be accepted). Your current AFP documentation must be no older than 3 months prior to the start of study.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their documentation remains current throughout their studies.
- Any costs associated in acquiring the above documents are in addition to course costs and will be borne by the student.
- TAFE Queensland strongly recommends that prior to enrolment students consider their eligibility to obtain the above documentation.
Need to know
For all students who are undertaking courses that include Vocational Placements in a high risk workplace, Queensland Health has directed that students must declare your COVID-19 Vaccination status and evidence to either TAFE Queensland or the placement provider.
This may require you providing us or the placement provider information on:
- Your vaccinate status
- Last date of vaccination
- Evidence of vaccine status
This requirement is in place for all students in affected courses, including TAFE at School students.
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.