Once you've safely arrived in the country there are a few things you'll need to do to get set up for your studies and new life in Australia. Luckily we've done the hard work for you and put together a handy checklist of all the things you should do during your first few days in Australia.
- Phone your family to let them know you've arrived safely.
- If you haven't already, arrange your permanent accommodation.
- Once you've found permanent accommodation, notify TAFE Queensland of your new contact details within seven days.
- Advise your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provider of your new contact details and arrange to get your membership card.
- Open a bank account in Australia.
- Buy a go card and familiarise yourself with your local public transport options.
- Purchase a mobile phone and/or Australian sim card.
- Apply for your Unique Student Identifier (USI) and notify TAFE Queensland of your USI.
- Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) if you plan to work in Australia.
- Get your student ID card from your local TAFE Queensland location.
- Attend all international and course orientation events.
If you have any questions during your first few days don't worry, we're here to help. Just contact our friendly team of international student advisors who will be able to assist you with any questions or issues you might have.