To celebrate International Hamburger Day (yes, it's a real thing), we've got a slightly different recipe for all the vegetarian fans out there to share courtesy of Leading Vocational Teacher - Hospitality, Chef Jason Ford (TAFE Queensland, Kingaroy).
It's a recipe for Pumpkin and Haloumi Sliders with Pesto Mayonnaise - yum!
Pumpkin and Haloumi Sliders with Pesto Mayonnaise
- 325g butternut pumpkin, chopped and roasted
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g canned chickpeas, drained and roughly mashed
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 4 sprigs flat parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 120g haloumi, sliced
- 2 garlic gloves
- 50g peanuts, toasted
- 50g basil, torn
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 75g mayonnaise
- 4 crusty bread rolls, small
- 40g rocket leafs
- 1 trussed tomato, sliced
- Mash the roasted pumpkin to a coarse paste with chickpeas; add crumbs, parsley and egg. Shape into 4 patties. Chill for 15 minutes.
- In a frypan on medium heat using half the olive oil, fry the pumpkin patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile – to make the pesto mayonnaise, pound the garlic, peanuts, basil and parmesan to a paste, and then stir in the mayonnaise.
- Place the remaining olive oil in the frypan; add the haloumi and cook, turning, for 1-2 minutes until golden on both sides.
- To assemble, spread the bottoms of the toasted rolls with pesto mayonnaise, then top with rocket, tomato, haloumi and pumpkin patties, and then a dollop of more mayonnaise.
- Secure the lids in place by inserting a skewering down the centre of the entire slider
For more information abouthospitality and cookery courses available at TAFE Queensland, contact us today.