If you're planning on taking a gap year, have you thought about how you'll fund it? Boost your earning potential with a qualification you can complete before you finish school.

Taking a year off between high school and starting tertiary study or starting a career is an amazing way to get some life experience, enhance your resume, and have a chance to explore some options before locking in the next few years of your life.

But if you're planning on taking a gap year, have you thought about how you'll fund it? Whatever your plans are, you're going to need some coin to make it happen. That's where getting a qualification while you're still at school can help. You'll be more attractive to employers and with the right training, you'll be able to take on more highly-skilled jobs with higher earning potential.

Live overseas and work as an au pair

If you're great with kids, living and working overseas as an au pair might be the perfect option for you. You'll earn a small income living with a family looking after their children, but will also have time off to do your own thing.

A great starting point to make sure you're skilled and stand out from other applicants is a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113). Best of all you can fit this around your high school studies with our TAFE at School program.

When you're ready to find a position we recommend going through an agency. They can help match you with a family and provide all the support you need.

Work in restaurants, cafes, and bars around the world

If you want a flexible option for earning some cheddar while overseas, hospitality is where it's at. You can backpack around the world and pay your way by working in bars, or spend a month here and there as waiter. The choice is yours.

Getting a qualification while you're still at school will give you a great advantage when finding and applying for these types of jobs. We have TAFE at School courses in kitchen operations and hospitality, and you can even specialise as a cafe barista or hotel receptionist.

Work at tourist attractions

If you want to help other people have unforgettable experiences, then a job in tourism and events is for you. TAFE at School offers both entry-level Certificate II in Tourism (SIT20116) and Certificate III in Tourism (SIT30116) courses. You can even combine tourism with events and get a dual qualification.

Imagine travelling while also getting the behind-the-scenes experience as a museum or ride attendant, tour operator assistant (hello Contiki and Top Deck), visitor information officer, or conference and events assistant. You'd be able to keep those holiday vibes going 24/7.

Base yourself somewhere as a part-time receptionist

If you want to do a working holiday overseas, you're going to need to find a home base with a reliable job. Businesses large and small are always in need of qualified people to fill admin and reception roles. You might also consider putting your name down with a recruitment agency who can help you find last-minute casual or temp roles.

Show potential employers you're ready to hit the ground running with a Certificate III in Business (BSB30115). You can complete it while you're still at school and it can even contribute to your Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) and/or Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR). You'll have the skills to work as a receptionist, office assistant or general clerk.

Build your all-round skills for flexibility

If you're not sure what you want to do in your gap year, building some all-round skills is a great idea. That way you can be totally flexible and will be ready to jump into whatever opportunities that come your way.

Getting your first aid and CPR certificates is a great first step. Even if you're just travelling and not planning on working, it's a great skill to have up your sleeve.

Or if you're not ready to commit to a full qualification a barista intro, responsible service of alcohol (RSA), cocktail, or food handling short course can help you get your foot in the door.


Whatever your plans, TAFE Queensland can help get you there sooner.




You may also like
Information for
Study with us