Before you make a big investment, it's important to do your research. If you were buying a new car, you would check a few important things before you went all in; What's the car's safety rating? Is it reliable? Does it have good fuel efficiency? Will it get me where I want to go?
You need to ask yourself similar questions when you're about to embark on further study. Why? Because not all training providers are the same. Just like cars, some are reliable, have a great reputation, and will give you a qualification that will get your where you want to go. While others are low quality, unreliable, and may fall apart when you're only part way through your study journey.
So how do you make the right choice?
You have to ask the right questions. There's the usual ones like, do they offer the course you want, in a location or study mode that suits you, and at the right time. But there are many more things you need to consider prior to taking the plunge.
We've created a handy checklist to help you figure out what's right for you.
Industry knowledge and skills
- How long has the provider been in business and/or offering the course?
- Does the provider offer nationally-recognised training?
- Who are the teachers and what experience do they have?
- Will you get to use the same equipment, tools, systems, and materials used on the job?
- Will you get to experience real-life work situations either on campus or through placement?
- Do students find work or go onto further study after completing their course?
- Are employers satisfied with the training provider?
- Are there any student support services available such as learning support?
- Can you access any additional services like career support?
- Does the provider offer pathways to further study and/or higher education?
- Would a university give you credit for your study with the training provider?
Costs and payment options
- Does the provider offer government subsidised training?
- If you're eligible for subsidised training, how much is subsidised and how much will you still need to pay?
- Is the provider registered to provide VET Student Loans for applicable courses?
- Are there other payment options available including payment plans?
- Have you been given, or can you access, a breakdown of the costs for your course?
- Are there any additional costs including uniforms, materials or tools?
TAFE Queensland has been around for more than 135 years, and there are many reasons why we're still here while others aren't. We have a proven track record of providing reliable, industry-focused outcomes for our students.
Why study at TAFE Queensland TAFE Queensland's track record View courses