What if we told you that you could boost your earning potential and make things that little bit easier as a uni student, all before leaving school?

Going straight to university from school is pretty common, but it doesn't leave a lot of time to earn some cheddar. While you're busy in class or studying up to 40 hours a week, squeezing in your part-time job might seem impossible — especially if you're earning minimum wage in a job unrelated to the industry you want to work in.

But what if we told you that you could boost your earning potential and make things that little bit easier, all before leaving high school? You could leave school with an industry-relevant qualification, allowing you to stand out from the crowd and start working in your dream role sooner.

All this is possible with a TAFE at School course. These courses fit around your high school studies, may count towards your Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) and/or Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR), and can even provide an alternative pathway to university.

Better yet, with an entry-level qualification you could land yourself a higher paying job in your industry to support you while you complete your university studies.


If you want to be a nurse, doctor or other health care professional, get ahead with a Certificate II in Health Support Services (HLT23215) or Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (HLT33115). Not only will you be better placed to succeed, but you'll be able to work in a variety of health support roles or as an Assistant in Nursing (AIN).

If becoming a pharmacist is more your thing, first get qualified to work as a pharmacy assistant with a Certificate III in Community Pharmacy (SIR30116).

Think of all the valuable industry experience you'll gain and the money you can earn while studying.

Law and justice

Kick start your career in the legal and justice sector with a Certificate IV in Crime and Justice Studies (10283NAT). This course was developed in consultation with the Queensland Police Service, so you know it's legit. Do the uni thing while working as a legal secretary or in youth justice roles.

Bonus: you're increasing your industry experience and post-uni employability all while you're still at school.


Have you always enjoyed caring for your younger cousins or siblings? TAFE Queensland can help you get paid more than babysitting dollars for it. Get the foundation skills you need to work in childcare or out of school hours care with a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113).

You'll beef up your resume and get heaps of real life experience while you're at it.


If you're on the path to a business, commerce, or accounting degree, get ahead of the curve with a Certificate III in Business (BSB30115). During uni you could be working part time as a receptionist, office assistant or general clerk, earning money and wrapping your head around how businesses really operate.

Bonus: you'll be better placed when applying for graduate programs or post-uni jobs.

Hospitality, tourism, and events

Getting a foot in the door in hospitality, tourism or events all starts with experience. There are a range of entry-level certificates in hospitality, kitchen operations, tourism, and events you can complete while you're still at school.

So while you're at university you could be working as a cook, catering assistant, barista, bartender, waiter, museum or ride attendant, or retail or events assistant. Think of the extra money you'll have to support yourself and the great industry experience you'll gain before the ink on your degree has even dried.

Completing these courses are also a great way to get ahead if you're just looking for a casual job to get you through university, no matter what you're studying.


If you want to get into the retail industry as a manager or buyer, or you're just looking for a casual position during university, we have some great courses to help you stand out in the competitive job market.

Try a Certificate III in Retail (SIR30216) for positions anywhere from assistant to team leader, or a Certificate II in Retail Cosmetics (SHB20116).

Exercise science and sport management

Set yourself on the path to a career in sports and fitness. Complete a Certificate II in Sport and Recreation (SIS20115), and you'll be able to work as an activities assistant. Or combine that with a Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315) and get a dual qualification to open up even more job opportunities as a gym or group exercise instructor.

Choose from a variety of TAFE at School courses from a range of study areas ranging from hospitality to horticulture, early childhood education to engineering, and everything in between.



You may also like
Information for
Study with us