Makes 20 biscuits
- 110g rolled oats
- 150g plain flour*
- 120g brown sugar
- 70g desiccated coconut
- 125g butter*
- 40g golden syrup
- 5g bicarbonate of soda
*This recipe can easily be converted to gluten free with a flour alternative, or vegan by replacing butter with coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 165oC and line tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add rolled oats, brown sugar and coconut.
- Place butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan. Warm on a low heat until completely melted.
- Stir in bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour melted butter mixture over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Using tablespoons of mixture, shape into balls.
- Place on trays, flattening each biscuit slightly. Keep approximately 5cm apart to allow for the mixture to spread.
- To achieve a chewy consistency bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden. For a more crunchy biscuit, increase cooking time to approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow biscuits to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
LEARN MORE HOSPITALITY AND COOKERY