Entry Requirements for Australian Domestic Students ONLY: The following are the mandatory entry requirements for enrolment with TAFE Queensland in the Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence – Helicopter).
Prospective students must:
be in possession of, or in the process of applying for a current Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) for flight crew.
- have an Aviation Reference Number (ARN). produce evidence of a current Aviation Class 1 Medical carried out by a Designated Aviation Medical Examiner (DAME).
- You will need to obtain your ARN prior to completing the medical.
- Be Eligible to obtain English language proficiency to meet the minimum requirements set by CASA.
- For VET Student Loan students produce documentary evidence to satisfy Academic Entry eligibility requirements:
- Option 1: Produce your Year 12 certificate with passes in English and Math; or,
- Option 2: Successful completion at the required level (exit level 3 working at Level 4) of the Basic Key Skills Builder (bksb) assessment through TAFE Queensland.
- Obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to enrolment.
- Hold or be eligible to hold a Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate.
- Participants must be a minimum of 18 years of age prior to the completion of this qualification.
In addition to the entry requirements, the following selection criteria requirements apply:
Before enrolling in this course, you must meet the below Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) requirements:
- First, seek an Aviation Reference Number (ARN). You must apply for an ARN through the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).
- Obtain a valid CASA issued Class 1 Medical Certificate from a Designated Aviation Medical Examiner. Find out more about this process here.
- Hold an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) which will require a comprehensive background and criminal history check as part of the application process. Find out more about this process here.
- English Language Proficiency
- All foreign pilots converting to an Australian license or a Certificate of Validation (CoV) must be aware that they require an ICAO English language proficiency assessment.
- This should be either stated on their foreign license or a statement from the issuing authority stipulating that the license holder, at least meets, Operation Level 4 for English language proficiency. A license or a CoV will not be issued without the proper ELP assessment.
Prospective students are to be advised that the CASA theory study and exam component includes solving of basic mathematical problems as well as the ability – after completing ground-based theory study - to determine outcomes of multiple choice online supervised CASA exam questions.
North and Far North Queensland
As part of this course the following resources will be required:
- A calculator
- Closed in shoes (not steel capped)
- Accurate wrist watch
- Townsville Helicopters uses a customised version of the Advanced Flight Training CPL book back for theory training. Please contact Townsville Flight Training directly for more information.
If you are completing this course in Townsville, you will also require the following region-specific charts for practical navigation:
- Townsville / Cairns Visual Terminal Chart (VTC)
- Townsville / Cairns Visual Navigation Chart (VNC)
Your instructor will let you know when these need to be purchased. Charts can be purchased at the school, or online from Aviation suppliers for approximately $12 each.
Due to wear and tear, you may need to purchase more than one copy of each chart during your training.
Greater Brisbane and Sunshine Coast
You will be provided with the resource list at your orientation.
Need to know
Please be aware that additional costs may be incurred for any unsuccessful examinations undertaken with The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).
TAFE Queensland will invoice the student the cost of re-examination as per the following:
- Human Factors $155.90
- Aerodynamics $155.90
- Aircraft General Knowledge $155.90
- Meteorology $155.90
- Navigation $168.20
- Flight Rules and Air Law $168.20
- Operations, Performance and Flight Planning $178.60
Should extra flying hours be required to achieve the standard Commercial Pilot Licence, then additional fees may apply.
There are weight restrictions on the below aircraft. You will not be able to train in an aircraft type if you are above the maximum weight.