You will require trade level experience in the chosen welding process – Minimum of 5 years in the welding industry.
You must have been referred to TAFE Queensland by Weld Australia.
Students will benefit from enrolling into the ISO9609 Certification of Welders for Fusion Welding of Steels preparatory course to practice their skills prior to assessment.
Workwear and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
- Protective clothing - long cotton drill trousers, and long-sleeved cotton drill shirt
- Eye protection - must comply with AS1338
- Hearing protection - must comply with AS1270 (is supplied)
- Protective footwear - safety toe, leather upper, non-slip – must comply with AS2210
- Hair protection - peak cap with a snood capable of fully containing hair
- Welding helmets - it is preferred that you provide your own for hygiene reasons and it must comply with AS1338-1
Students who do not meet these minimum standards of work wear and PPE will not be permitted entry into workshops
Need to know
You will need to have an extensive welding theory knowledge and practical welding skills to meet qualification requirements. (Minimum of 5 years in the welding industry to be successful).
Contact your teacher for advice if required.
The cost of this course covers the examination by TAFE Queensland.
You will incur an additional fee with Weld Australia at time of application.
Where one of the test welds does not comply with standard requirements, the candidate will be provide one opportunity to re-test that weld. Non-compliance of this re-test will mark the conclusion of the examination.
Non-compliance of more than one test weld marks the conclusion of the examination.
Following a non-conformant examination candidates may choose to re-enrol for further training and/or examination opportunities.