TAFE Queensland is offering training in a number of courses to Queensland residents who have been impacted by COVID-19.
Training is heavily subisidised under the JobTrainer funding, so there is a low cost or at times no cost to access these courses.
If you are in financial hardship and have an existing SPER debt, you can register your interest in reducing your debt through a work and development order, by undertaking a TAFE Queensland course.
If you meet the course and funding eligibility criteria and courses are available, you may be approved by SPER to reduce your debt by up to $1,000 per month.
If you enrol in a course with TAFE Queensland and are approved to undertake a work and development order, your order will not start until your course does. This means that you may be subject to enforcement action by SPER if you don’t have a current payment plan for your debt until the start date of your course. You can apply for a payment plan at qld.gov.au/sper or call SPER on 1300 365 635.
Please check that you meet any entry requirements for your chosen course.
To be eligible to participate in the program, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• permanently reside in Queensland; and
• be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency, or a New Zealand citizen; and
• have finished school or no longer be at school (including home schooled); and
• not be enrolled in training (includes vocational education and training (VET) and higher education courses); and
• any previously completed qualifications were not funded as part of this program (under the JobTrainer Fund); and
• be an individual aged 15 years or older who is a Job Seeker and in receipt of income support payments.
• As part of your application, you will be asked for evidence of the above.
You may be eligible to undertake a work and development order if:
We will review your course application and will contact you with your offer.
We will also assess your eligibility for a work and development order.
SPER will advise you directly whether you are approved for a work and development order, in line with the start of your course.
Review the courses below and complete the registration form on this page (please ensure you upload your income support evidence document here). The details collected through the registration form will be used to verify your outstanding SPER debt. Once you have completed the form, click ‘complete registration’.
You will then be asked to complete an application form for your preferred course. This step may require you to re-supply some of your details.
Please note that not all courses are available at all locations. Course availability will be confirmed by the TAFE Queensland Customer Service team.