This qualification has no formal entry requirements however TAFE Queensland has the following selection criteria:
- Completion of Year 10 or equivalent; and
- Skills in gathering and communicating information equivalent to Senior English will be required to successfully complete this program.
- The minimum age for enrolment is 18 years, due to vocational placement.
- Physically fit to be able to stand for long periods of time
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
You may also be required to purchase a USB, uniform items, including TAFE Queensland branded items, enclosed leather shoes, long corporate slacks and a long sleeved cotton shirt or plain black polo. These details will be provided after enrolment or during orientation. The purchase of the TAFE Queensland branded uniform items may incur additional costs of approximately $25.00.
You may also be required to cover any travel/accommodation costs associated with vocational placement or work experience.
While TAFE Queensland will make every effort to minimise disruption to study, the current COVID-19 pandemic situation and subsequent restriction of access to some health care facilities during this time, may cause delays with vocational placement and completion of this course.
Students are advised that they will need to evidence maintenance of full COVID-19 vaccination to attend the mandatory vocational placement assessment components of this course.
The vaccines received must be approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration for use in Australia or endorsed by the WHO-COVAX if vaccinated overseas. Please see the following link for the accepted vaccines.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
This course now requires you to obtain a NDIS Worker Screening Check to be eligible to attend the vocational placement assessment component of your studies.
You are to apply for this NDIS Worker Screening Check once enrolled as TAFE Queensland will need to verify your application as a student.
If you are not currently employed or volunteering in industry, during your course you will be required to complete vocational placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. You’ll be required to work shifts determined by your placement provider, and these can include early mornings or late nights, any day of the week, including public holidays. TAFE Queensland will organise suitable placements.
Completing placement is compulsory, and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete your shifts. You are required to successfully complete a minimum of 35 hours of placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
Please note: prior to placement you will need to complete the following:-
If your police check identifies that you have a criminal history, you may be disqualified from being eligible to undertake placement and assessment, which would affect your course outcomes. If a positive criminal history check is returned it may delay progress and will lead to disclosure and follow up with industry to determine suitability for vocational placement. If you think this might impact you, please speak to the relevant Course Coordinator at your region for further information.
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
From 1st July 2016, a change to Queensland Health policy will now require students placed in Clinical areas of all Facilities to provide evidence they have been vaccinated for the vaccine preventable diseases of measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and pertussis. You will not be able to commence Vocational Placement unless you have provided the following evidence:
- Full COVID-19 Vaccination – evidence of vaccinations of a type approved by Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australia, or endorsed by the World Health Organisation.
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): Minimum two doses. You must provide evidence of immunity (provide a serology/blood test result indicating immunity) or evidence of a minimum of two documented doses (vaccinations) of MMR at least one month apart.
- Hepatitis B: Minimum two doses. You must provide evidence of immunity against Hep B (provide a serology/blood test result) indicating immunity or if you have not been previously been vaccinated for the full course (3 doses) provide evidence of a minimum of two doses of Hep B and in addition provide a serology/blood test report showing where your immunity levels sit after the minimum two doses.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): Minimum one dose. You must provide documented history of vaccination or evidence of immunity (serology/blood test report).
- Pertussis: One dose. You must provide documented history of one adult dose of dTpa within the past ten years (pathology reports are not acceptable evidence for pertussis).
- Influenza Vaccination: Annual vaccination.
You may be required to provide evidence of immunity and / or vaccinations depending on the requirements of the placement provider.
You will be responsible for any costs associated with meeting your placement requirements.
You may be required to complete live bleeds and perform venipuncture on fellow students or volunteers during the course.
Further information will be provided to you at orientation.
Need to know
For all students who are undertaking courses that include Vocational Placements in a high risk workplace, Queensland Health has directed that students must declare your COVID-19 Vaccination status and evidence to either TAFE Queensland or the placement provider.
This may require you providing us or the placement provider information on:
- Your vaccinate status
- Last date of vaccination
- Evidence of vaccine status
This requirement is in place for all students in affected courses, including TAFE at School students.
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.
If you have any questions or concerns with this requirement, please contact our COVID hotline on 07 3307 4789.