There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
It is highly recommended that students have basic literacy, numeracy and computer skills or equivalent to Year 10, turned 16 or have relevant experience and/or qualifications that indicate likely success in completing the course.
South Bank campus only
Due to the high volume of applicants wishing to undertake this program, Greater Brisbane has introduced a selection criteria ranking process which requires all applicants to undertake a Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) maths and english assessment to determine current level of literacy and numeracy.
Applicants who receive an Exit Level 2 Working at Level 3 score (or higher) on the BKSB will receive a higher ranking than students with a lower score. The BKSB identifies any areas you may need additional support to achieve your goals and ensure you have the right skills and support to be successful in your course.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You are responsible for meeting the minimum standard of dress. This includes having access to and wearing a black shirt, black tailored pants (no leggings, jeans, skirts or shorts), and enclosed black shoes.
You may also be required to purchase an equipment kit that contains items required for performing beauty services. Please note: the purchase of this kit may incur additional costs of $350 to $550. More details will be provided at enrolment or during orientation session.
Greater Brisbane only
You will be required to purchase TAFE Queensland branded uniforms (Navy pants and top set), this may incur additional costs of up to $100.
You will need to supply your own comfortable/flat white shoes and beauty kits. More details will be provided after enrolment or during orientation.
Need to know
Personal Abilities and Key Activities
Important personal abilities required. The learner should:
- Be well groomed at all times
- Have time management/organisational skills
- Be physically resilient
- Be tolerant of working in confined spaces
- Be sensitive to client’s personal space and requirements
- Have strong communication skills
- Be comfortable with physical contact with clients
- Be tolerant of late and changeable work hours
- Ability to sit, stand and bend for reasonable periods of time
- Ability to deal with clients and give full attention, taking time to understand and ask questions as appropriate when dealing with client services or complaints (active listening)
- Ability to handle and control tools, electrical equipment and perform massage routines (manual dexterity)
- Ability to be exact and accurate and work within time constraints (efficiency)
- Ability to perform mathematical functions such as measuring, calculating quantities and costs
Practitioners in this industry are required to work closely with their clients while they provide personal beauty services. This could include removing body hair by waxing, performing massage routines relative to treatment, performing skin analysis, providing advice, recommending and selling of cosmetic products and performing reception duties such as telephone answering, appointment making and client enquiries. As a result the Practitioner is expected to respect the client’s privacy, maintain confidentiality and provide personal beauty services with absolute professionalism.
This qualification has been replaced by SHB30121 Certificate III in Beauty Services as of 15 December 2021. A transition period applies to enable current students to complete their study. The transition period finishes on 14 December 2022.