Engineering welding experience or industry experience is highly recommended.
Workwear and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
- Protective clothing - long cotton drill trousers, and long-sleeved cotton drill shirt
- Eye protection - must comply with AS1338
- Hearing protection - must comply with AS1270 (is supplied)
- Protective footwear - safety toe, leather upper, non-slip – must comply with AS2210
- Hair protection - peak cap with a snood capable of fully containing hair
- Welding helmets - it is preferred that you provide your own for hygiene reasons and it must comply with AS1338-1
Students who do not meet these minimum standards of work wear and PPE will not be permitted entry into workshops.
Need to know
At the conclusion of training you are then able to undertake a Welding Australian examination. To undertake the Weld Australia examination you MUST also enrol into the relevant ticket certification course below:
- NONAC03154 Stick - MMAW Certification (Plate). Ticket 1, 1E, 3, 3E
- NONAC03155 Stick - MMAW Certification (Pipe). Ticket 2, 4, 5
- NONAC03156 TIG - GTAW Certification. Ticket 5, 7
- NONAC03157 MIG - GMAW Certification. Ticket 8G
- NONAC03158 FLUX - FCAW Certification. Ticket 8F
- NONAC03159 Submerged ARC - SAW Certification. Ticket 9
Successful completion of one of the above Weld Australia examinations will enable you to apply for certification within the Australian Welder Certification Register (AWCR). The candidate will also incur an additional fee with Weld Australia at time of application.
To obtain the Certificate of Welders AS1796 with Weld Australia, you are required to complete theory and practical requirements as outlined by AS1796 Certification of Welders. TAFE Queensland provides training in the area of welding theory if you are seeking to complete the theory assessment through Weld Australia (see Welding Certification Theory). You can concurrently complete the practical and theory requirements however, you must apply for certification within two (2) years of having completed both theory and practical assessments.
Re-test Information for Weld Australia Certification Tickets listed above.
Where one of the test welds does not comply with standard requirements, the candidate will be provided one opportunity to re-test that weld. Non-compliance of this re-test will mark the conclusion of the examination. Non-compliance of more than one test weld marks the conclusion of the examination. Following a non-conformant examination, you may choose to re-enrol for further training and/or examination opportunities.
Weld Australia Contact details
Reference: Welder Certification Theory assessment for Welding Standards AS1796
Phone: 02 8748 0100