What support services are available to international students?

TAFE Queensland has dedicated support services available to international students including a team of International Student Support Advisors (ISSAs) and a dedicated international orientation program. Visit the international student support page for more information.


How do I apply for a student visa?

There are a range of different types of student visas you can apply for. The one you need will depend on the type of program you're planning on studying (e.g. English language course, vocational training, higher education etc.). For shorter periods of study, you may also be able to apply for a visitor or working holiday maker visa. For more information on the Australian student visa options available and how to apply, visit the Department of Home Affairs (DoHA) website.


Who can help me with my visa application?

TAFE Queensland has registered education agents who can provide advice and assistance with your student visa application. These agents are specialists in Australian student visa applications and can step you through the process. For example, they can help you decide which student visa is right for you and help you prepare the documentation you need to submit for your application.


Can I receive credit for my previous studies?

If you already have qualifications or experience in your chosen study area, you may be able to receive credit towards a TAFE Queensland course in a related study area. Our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process can save you valuable time and money and help you start your career sooner. 


Do you offer university pathways?

We have hundreds of further education pathways available through our partnerships with some of Australia's top universities. After completing your diploma or advanced diploma course at TAFE Queensland you may be eligible for a credit transfer towards a related university degree offered by TAFE Queensland or one of our partner providers. This pathways option can save you valuable time and money off your university qualification.


How much credit will my TAFE course give me towards a university degree?

The amount of credit you can receive for your TAFE Queensland course varies depending on your TAFE course, your university, and your university degree. However on average, most diplomas will give you one year of credit towards a three year university degree. Visit our pathways page for more information.


What is a certified copy?

A certified copy of a document is a photocopy of the original that has been certified as a true copy by an authorised person. When you provide us with a scanned copy or photocopy of a document, it must be certified. All pages of submitted supporting documents must be certified. Make sure your current name is added to any documents you supply with your former names (if applicable). Visit the supporting documents page for more information.


Where can I get my documents certified?

In Australia a Justice of the Peace can certify your documents. You can also have them certified by a TAFE Queensland staff member, police officer, Commissioner of Declarations, bank manager, pharmacist, education agent, solicitor, barrister or patent attorney. If you are certifying your documents in your home country, the official records department of the institution that originally issued the documents can certify them for you. You can also have your documents certified by a notary public, education agent, or TAFE Queensland staff member.


What are your academic entry requirements?

The entry requirements for a certificate III level course with TAFE Queensland are an Australian Year 10 qualification or equivalent. Entry to our certificate IV, diploma and advanced diploma courses require a Year 12 qualification level or equivalent. See the equivalent qualifications in your country.


What are your English language entry requirements?

Applicants to TAFE Queensland are required to meet a minimum standard of English language proficiency as assessed by the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Entry requirements vary between courses. Visit the English entry requirements page for IELTS score equivalencies and more information


What is VET?

VET stands for Vocational Education and Training. This is the type of accredited training that TAFE Queensland delivers. It is a tertiary level of education that delivers job-related training, industry based outcomes, and technical skill sets.


Do I need to sit an IELTS test if I'm a native English speaker?

If you're a native English speaker, of if you've studied in English previously, you may be eligible to have the English entry requirements waived for your application. This is subject to the country you are from, the level of your previous studies, and the passport you currently hold.


Got a question? We're here to help