Christmas craft with Chrystal
Looking for ideas to help celebrate the season, while keeping your children entertained on the summer holidays?
Early Childhood Education and Care Teacher, Chrystal from TAFE Queensland’s Roma campus, shares this easy DIY reindeer craft activity that can double up as a Christmas tree decoration or can accompany gifts.
“Christmas craft is a great opportunity to develop children’s creativity, imagination, fine motor skills, hand and eye coordination,” explained Chrystal.
“This simple, beaded reindeer ornament is sure to keep them busy, and you may already have most of the materials on hand at home.” she said.
Beaded Reindeer Candy Cane Ornament
- 1 x half pipe cleaner (white or any colour of your choice)
- 8cm x brown pipe cleaner
- 20 x beads (green and red)
- 1 x 25mm wooden bead
- 2 x googly eyes
- Cut a pipe cleaner in half. Ideally the pipe cleaner will be red or white.
- Put the first bead onto the end and twist the pipe cleaner around it to secure.
- Begin threading the beads, alternating colours, onto the pipe cleaner.
- Bend the pipe cleaner to make the candy cane shape.
- Secure the wooden bead and the last bead for the reindeer nose by twisting the pipe cleaner around it.
- Glue the googly eyes to the wooden bead.
- Attach the brown pipe cleaner by twisting it above the brown bead to give the reindeer a set of antlers.
This reindeer ornament can be hung upon the Christmas tree, attached to Christmas gifts or even gifted as a cute kid-made Christmas ornament for family members.
Enjoy getting crafty with your kids this Christmas!