It is highly recommended that students are aged 18 or older by the course commencement date.
If you are not currently employed in industry, during your course you will be required to complete Vocational Placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. You’ll be required to work shifts determined by your placement provider. TAFE Queensland will be able to assist in arranging suitable placements.
Completing placement is compulsory, and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete your shifts. You are required to complete 120 hours of placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
Prior to Placement, students will need to complete and provide evidence of the following checks:
• Students must complete their online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application at this link - NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU) and nominate TAFE Queensland (as their employer). There is no cost to students. TAFE Queensland can then verify each student.
• Students must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes in total). Upon completion, students will need to provide their Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and their placement provider.
• Additionally, if students work with children on Placement, they will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check (Blue Card in Queensland).
• Please note: Students can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal noted above NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
Depending on where your placement is conducted, further checks may be required and your Vocational Placement Coordinator or Teacher will discuss this with you.
Need to know
For all students who are undertaking courses that include Vocational Placements in a high risk workplace, Queensland Health has directed that students must declare your COVID-19 Vaccination status and evidence to either TAFE Queensland or the placement provider.
This may require you providing us or the placement provider information on:
- Your vaccinate status
- Last date of vaccination
- Evidence of vaccine status
This requirement is in place for all students in affected courses, including TAFE at School students.
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -