There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You may be required to have full COVID-19 vaccination to undertake vocational placement in a range of Community Services organisations. Potential students are advised to seek current information as policies may be updated.
If you are not currently employed in industry, during your course you will be required to complete Vocational Placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. You’ll be required to work shifts determined by your placement provider. TAFE Queensland will be able to assist in arranging suitable placements.
Completing placement is compulsory and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete this. You are required to complete Vocational Placement in an approved workplace, as part of your qualification.
Prior to Placement, students will need to complete and provide evidence of the following checks:
• Students must complete their online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application at this link - NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU) and nominate TAFE Queensland (as their employer). There is no cost to students. TAFE Queensland can then verify each student.
• Students must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes in total). Upon completion, students will need to provide their Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and their placement provider.
• Additionally, if students work with children on Placement, they will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check (Blue Card in Queensland).
• Please note: Students can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal noted above NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
Depending on where your placement is conducted, further checks may be required and your Vocational Placement Coordinator or Teacher will discuss this with you.
Need to know
Please be aware that this program is comprised of units that cover a range of sensitive topics which may include mental health, child protection, and alcohol and other drugs.
To be eligible for the Higher Level Skills subsidised price, you must:
- be an existing worker in the Community Services Industry and Health Industry, (which includes parents and unpaid carers of NDIS participants.) Existing workers must provide a letter from their employer stating that they are an employee of the organisation or a current payslip that displays the ABN and Trading name;
- be aged 15 years or over, and no longer at school;
- permanently reside in Queensland;
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency, or a New Zealand citizen; and
- not hold or be currently enrolled in a Certificate IV or higher-level qualification (does not include qualifications completed at school or foundation skills training).