There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
There are no selection criteria requirements for domestic students.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 5.5 (no individual band less than 5.0) or ISLPR 2+ on all skills or other - For a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International; and
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place.
You are responsible for meeting the minimum occupational health and safety requirements in practical classes.
This includes the use of:
- clear safety glasses to AS 1336 or 1337
- protective footwear with safety toe cap and non-slip soles to AS2210
- mechanic gloves
- ear plugs or muffs
- You should also wear 100% cotton drill industry-standard protective clothing
If you fail to meet these minimum standards of dress, you will not be permitted entry into practical classes.
You will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks after enrolment, during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
You are also required to have access to and bring personal stationary, a USB, and a calculator.
If you are not currently employed in industry, during your course you will be required to complete vocational placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. You’ll be required to work shifts determined by your placement provider, and these can include early mornings or late nights, any day of the week, including public holidays. TAFE Queensland may be able to assist in arranging suitable placements.
Completing placement is compulsory, and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete your shifts. You are required to complete 400 hours of placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
International important information
You may be required to hold a valid driver's licence to study this course.