There are no formal entry requirements or prerequisites for this unit of competency.
If you are under 18 and not employed in an industry where this unit is a requirement, you may still choose to undertake the program, however you need to be aware that you may have difficulty accessing an appropriate facility to complete the practical assessment.
You are required to complete online learning and then undertake written and practical assessments. For you to able to do your practical component (video clip) of your assessment, you are required to:
- be employed in a workplace with access to sterilisation equipment, OR
- have access to a workplace with sterilisation equipment, OR
- be in driving proximity to a town with a TAFE Queensland clinical room (Toowoomba or Bundamba), so that the teacher can assess you (by appointment only via the teacher).
- access to a suitable workplace or campus location
- personal stationery (pens and paper)
- a valid email address
You will also require access to a reliable internet connection and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at a number of TAFE Queensland locations.
Need to know
Under state legislation, anyone who engages in body piercing, tattooing, or laser technology which includes skin penetration treatments, must complete HLTINF005 (previously HLTIN402C), from the Health training package before they penetrate anyone's skin in return for payment. This program may also be suitable for those working in the beauty and cosmetic industry providing cosmetic tattooing, Intense Pulse Light (IPL) for hair removal and skin rejuvenation and electrolysis and diathermy (or any cosmetic equipment considered invasive to the skin).