Personalise my view
Personalise my view

😊 Personalise my view

We use cookies, including those from third-party providers, to enhance your online experience and deliver personalised advertisements. By using our website, you consent to our use of cookies and our privacy policy

Eligibility documents

To enrol in one of our VET courses and to prove your eligibility you'll need to provide a range of documentation. 

Don't worry if you don't have a scanner. You can simply take a clear picture of the required documents on your smart phone to send to us if we need to see them. You may need to provide a selection of the following types of documents.


Identity and/or Date of Birth (DOB)

Copies of one of the following documents help prove your identity and show your date of birth:

  • current Driver’s Licence issued under Australian Law (copies of both front and back)
  • current adult Proof of Age Card (18+card) (copies of front and back)
  • current passport
  • Birth Certificate or Birth Extract.


Queensland residency

Copies of one of the following documents that show a Queensland address and match the other address information provided help prove your Queensland residency:

  • current Queensland Driver’s Licence, Heavy Vehicle or Marine Licence (front and back)
  • recent electricity, gas, or telephone account
  • recent Queensland local government rates notice
  • current Queensland vehicle registration certificate
  • bank statement issued within last six months
  • official letter from Centrelink or Department of Human Services
  • current Health Care Card
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment/Tax File Number confirmation notice
  • current Department of Veteran’s Affairs/Pensioner Concession Card
  • current Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • current contract of property purchase, lease/rental document, mortgage/land ownership certificate
  • Australian Electoral Commission document (e.g. electoral enrolment card/letter).


Australian or New Zealand citizenship

A copy of one of the following documents proves your citizenship:

  • current Australian or New Zealand Passport
  • Birth Certificate* or Birth Extract
  • Australian Citizenship certificate
  • Certificate of Status for New Zealand Citizens in Australia (CSNZA).
  • current Medicare card (green cards only)

*Birth Certificate must be prior to 20 August 1986 or show that one/both parents as born in Australia. 

Australian permanent residency

Provide a copy of one of the following documents to prove your residency status*:

  • Permanent visa or formal communication from the Department of Immigration showing approval of a permanent visa subclass
  • current Medicare card (green Medicare card only)
  • Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status (CERS).
  • A Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) concession card of any colour

*Only required for domestic students who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens

Eligibility for concession 

Please note that concession fees are only available for students who meet eligibility for Queensland Government subsidised training.  

To apply for a concession fee you are required to provide evidence (and for this to be validated) at the time of enrolment to support your concession status:

  • current Health Care or Pensioner concession card (with your name on the card)
  • an official form under Commonwealth law confirming your concessional entitlement
  • Disability – current Pensioner Concession Card or other documentation verifying your disability. 

Or you need to identify as:

  • an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • a school student and are enrolled in a VETiS program (may include youth in detention).

VET Student Loans

In order to apply for a VET Student Loan you’ll need to prove your academic suitability by providing evidence of one of the following:

  • Australian Year 12 Certificate of Education
  • successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English).

If you can’t provide either of the above documents you’ll be required to display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy. TAFE Queensland will assess your competence using the Australian Government approved assessment tool — Basic Key Skills Builder (bksb).

Tax File Number (TFN) verification

TAFE Queensland requires students to verify their Tax File Number (TFN) under the VET Student Loans Act 2016 and the Higher Education Support Act 2003. If the TFN you provide can’t be verified by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as belonging to you, you won’t meet the TFN requirements to be eligible for Commonwealth assistance.

To meet this requirement, you must show that the name and address you used to enrol at TAFE Queensland matches the details held by the ATO. You can do this by supplying a screenshot of your details from the ATO section of your myGov account.

The easiest way to do this is to log into your myGov account and navigate to My profile > Personal details. Then take a screen shot of the page showing your full name, date of birth and residential address. Please ensure you black out your TFN prior to sending to TAFE Queensland.

Please note: we cannot accept a screenshot from the change of name page in myGov.

If you don’t have a myGov account, visit the Services Australia website to find instructions and a video on how to create one.

For more information on verifying your Tax File Number, view our fact sheet.

Underage students

Students under 18 years of age applying for a VET Student Loan will also need to complete a Parental Consent Form. TAFE Queensland will provide you with a copy of this form to sign.

For New Zealand Citizens applying for a VET Student Loan

In order to qualify for a VET Student Loan you must have entered Australia as a dependent child under 18 years of age and have been a resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years and 18 months of the last two years at the time of the loan application).

You will need to supply the following documents:

· current New Zealand Passport

· Special Category Visa (TY444)

· Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) printout.

To be eligible for a VET Student Loan you must meet the eligibility criteria.



To obtain FEE-HELP you must complete a Request for FEE-HELP assistance form, available from TAFE Queensland and you will need to a tax file number (TFN). When completing the Request for FEE-HELP assistance form, you may be required to submit additional Documentary Evidence. This evidence must be provided if you:

  • Changed your name (documentary proof is required – driver’s license, marriage certificate, passport or statutory declaration)
  • Became a permanent resident (documentary proof is required – passport or permanent residency documentation – document must state the month and year residency was granted)
  • Became an Australian Citizen – (documentary proof is required)

From 1 January 2020, a combined HELP loan limit will replace the FEE-HELP limit and will include FEE-HELP, VET Student Loans, VET FEE-HELP and HECS-HELP. Only new HECS-HELP borrowing will count towards a person's HELP limit. Any existing FEE-HELP, VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans that counted towards your FEE-HELP limit will now count towards the new HELP limit.  More information at Study Assist.

To be eligible for FEE-HELP you must meet the eligibility criteria.


How to apply

We’ve made the application process as easy as possible so you can start preparing for your new study adventure sooner. Depending on what course you’d like to study there are a few different application methods available.

Applying for a degree

If you want to study a degree with TAFE Queensland you can either apply through QTAC, or directly through TAFE Queensland. Find out more about which application method you should use based on your study and work background.

Calculate your subsidy eligibility

Find out if you're eligible for government and independent funding to help reduce the cost of your training.