The following Selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 5.5 (no individual band less than 5.0) or ISLPR 2+ on all skills or other - For a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
You will be required to wear a uniform for placement - the uniform will entail:
- black polo shirt
- long black pants/long knee length skirt or culottes
- closed in shoes
Completing Vocational Placement is compulsory, you are required to undertake a minimum of 80 hours of Vocational Placement to complete this course. You will need to manage your commitments in order to complete a rewarding and successful placement.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
This course now requires you to obtain a NDIS Worker Screening Check to be eligible to attend the vocational placement assessment component of your studies.
Prior to Placement, you will need to receive and provide evidence of the following checks:
- You must complete your online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application at this link - NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU), and nominate TAFE Queensland as your employer. There is no cost to students. TAFE Queensland will verify each student.
- Students must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes in total). Upon completion, students will need to provide their Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and their placement provider.
- If you work with children on Placement, you will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check. This is called Blue Card in Queensland or you will need the equivalent if you are completing your Placement outside of Queensland.
- Please note: you can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
If your check identifies that you have a criminal history, you may be disqualified from being eligible to undertake placement and assessment, which would affect your course outcomes. If you think this might impact you, please speak to the relevant Placement Coordinator for further information.
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements across a range of high-risk settings have eased. There are no Public Health Directions in affect requiring you to be vaccinated in high risk settings. However, decisions on mandatory vaccinations will be made by the owner or operator of these settings. Some facilities may also mandate the number of vaccinations required. These requirements will be provided to the student, prior to arrangements being made for the completion of vocational placement.
Students who are not up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccinations will be ineligible for placement at a Queensland Health Facility. However, they may still have the opportunity to complete their placement at another organisation that does not mandate vaccinations. It's important for students to be aware that the availability of facilities/organisations without vaccination requirements may be limited, and this could potentially affect their ability to fulfil the placement requirements of the course.
It is recommended that you undertake screening for vaccination (and meet any costs incurred) against the following Queensland Health Mandatory vaccination requirements:
- Influenza Vaccination: Annual vaccination
- Up to date COVID-19 Vaccination
Need to know
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.