Before you leave home to study in Queensland, there are some important things you will need to do.
We’ve prepared this checklist to help you make sure you don’t overlook anything.
- Apply for your student visa.
- Check that your passport is valid for the full length of your study period in Australia.
- Have a medical check-up and organise any prescribed medications or immunisations you may need. Ask your doctor to write a letter in English explaining these medicines. This will help you with your customs process and will also assist with your ongoing treatment after you arrive in Australia.
- Have evidence of the mandatory vaccinations which are required for some courses in the Health discipline. You will be required to submit documentary evidence to confirm all vaccinations.
- Visit the website of your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provider and read information about your health coverage while in Australia.
- Check your International and Course Orientation dates
- Book your flights to Australia (arriving a few days before your orientation).
- Purchase travel insurance.
- Research your accommodation options and arrange temporary accommodation for when you arrive.
- Organise to have AUD$2,000 for when you arrive in Australia — at least $500 in cash and the rest available via credit/debit card.
- Make a note of the contact details of your country's embassy in Australia and of TAFE Queensland's out of hours contact number for international students (1800 644 044).
- Remember to pack important documents including your Letter of Offer, Terms and Conditions of Enrolment, Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), certified copies of academic transcripts, identification documents, important contact numbers, accommodation details, and important medical records.