There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
This course has no formal entry requirements however, TAFE Queensland requires the following:
- Year 10 or equivalent;
- Sound level of computer and literacy skills;
- valid and appropriate email account;
- be prepared to attend compulsory work experience in an animal care facility; and
- physically, emotionally and mentally "fit for practice" for the purpose of work experience.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to enter into this course;
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 6.0 (no individual band less than 5.5) or ISLPR 3 on all skills or other - View a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International; and
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place.
You will be required to wear:
- long, hard wearing pants (no leggings)
- closed in, comfortable shoes as you will be on your feet for most of the day; and
- minimal jewellery (stud earrings, no necklaces, no acrylic or false nails, facial jewellery must be removed or taped over).
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You may be required to undertake pre-reading or purchase textbooks. If this applies, you will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
You may also be required to purchase uniform items, including TAFE Queensland branded items. These details will be provided after enrolment or during orientation. The purchase of these uniform items may incur additional costs up to the value of $80.00.
You must have the required Animal Studies shirt prior to attending Work Experience (including the AWL, RSPCA), or you will unable to participate.
Need to know
Working in certain jobs increases your exposure to some vaccine-preventable diseases. The National Health and Medical Research Council recommends the following vaccinations in line with the Queensland Government’s occupational immunisations for veterinary students;
- Tetanus vaccine
Please note: Vaccination and serology evidence requirements may alter during your studies in accordance with changes to industry requirements and/or Australian Immunisation Guidelines.