There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
Greater Brisbane Region
Online with on campus practical training (South Bank): Only available to students who are in the Greater Brisbane area and willing and able to participate in industry Placement within 50km of the Brisbane CBD. If a student resides in rural Queensland the student is to secure their own Placement.
Students are required to complete Placement throughout their studies for the duration of the course. It is recommended that students attend Placement one (1) day per week for the duration of their enrolments. Block Placement at the beginning or end of studies is not suitable for Online self-directed study.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 5.5 (no individual band less than 5.0) or ISLPR 2+ on all skills or other - For a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International.
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place.
You must have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You may be required to purchase uniform items, including TAFE Queensland branded items. These details, if required, will be provided after enrolment or during orientation. The purchase of these uniform items may incur additional costs up to the value of $25.00
If you are not currently employed in industry, during your course you will be required to complete 100 hours of Placement to satisfy this component of your qualification and start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. Your Placement will be conducted in line with school hours and activities and will be approximately 6 hours per day. TAFE Queensland may be able to assist in arranging suitable placements.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
This course now requires you to obtain a NDIS Worker Screening Check to be eligible to attend the vocational placement assessment component of your studies.
Prior to Placement, you will need to receive and provide evidence of the following checks:
- You must complete your online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application at this link - NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU), and nominate TAFE Queensland as your employer. There is no cost to students. TAFE Queensland will verify each student.
- Students must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes in total). Upon completion, students will need to provide their Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and their placement provider.
- If you work with children on Placement, you will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check. This is called Blue Card in Queensland or you will need the equivalent if you are completing your Placement outside of Queensland.
- Please note: you can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
If your check identifies that you have a criminal history, you may be disqualified from being eligible to undertake placement and assessment, which would affect your course outcomes. If you think this might impact you, please speak to the relevant Placement Coordinator for further information.
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements across a range of high-risk settings have eased. There are no Public Health Directions in affect requiring you to be vaccinated in high risk settings. However, decisions on mandatory vaccinations will be made by the owner or operator of these settings. Some facilities may also mandate the number of vaccinations required. These requirements will be provided to the student, prior to arrangements being made for the completion of vocational placement.
If you are not currently employed or volunteering in industry, during your course you will be required to complete Placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. Your Placement will be conducted in line with school hours and activities and will be approximately 6 hours per day. TAFE Queensland will be able to assist in arranging suitable Placements.
Need to know
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the Placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.
When studying Online self-directed it is strongly recommended students follow the order of study and enrol in no more than two units per intake or the units required to complete one cluster/stage, unless otherwise advised.