There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
It is highly recommended that you:
- are aged 16 years or older by the course commencement date;
- have successfully completed Year 10 (or equivalent) or are of mature age; and
- have basic English skills (written and verbal communication).
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
You may also be required to purchase Industry Standard uniform items including TAFE Queensland branded items and closed-in, non-slip soled shoes. These details will be provided after enrolment or during orientation. The purchase of these uniform items may incur additional costs.
If you are not currently employed in industry, during your course you will be required to complete Vocational Placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. You’ll be required to work shifts determined by your placement provider. TAFE Queensland will be able to assist in arranging suitable placements.
Completing placement is compulsory, and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete your shifts. You are required to complete 120 hours of placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
Prior to Placement, students will need to complete and provide evidence of the following checks:
- Students must complete their online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application at this link - NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU) and nominate TAFE Queensland (as their employer). There is no cost to students. TAFE Queensland can then verify each student.
- Students must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes in total). Upon completion, students will need to provide their Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and their placement provider.
- Additionally, if students work with children on Placement, they will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check (Blue Card in Queensland).
- Please note: Students can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal noted above NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements across a range of high-risk settings have eased. There are no Public Health Directions in affect requiring you to be vaccinated in high risk settings. However, decisions on mandatory vaccinations will be made by the owner or operator of these settings. Some facilities may also mandate the number of vaccinations required. These requirements will be provided to the student, prior to arrangements being made for the completion of vocational placement.
Students who are not up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccinations will be ineligible for placement at a Queensland Health Facility. However, they may still have the opportunity to complete their placement at another organisation that does not mandate vaccinations. It's important for students to be aware that the availability of facilities/organisations without vaccination requirements may be limited, and this could potentially affect their ability to fulfil the placement requirements of the course.
Information about COVID-19 vaccinations, other immunisations and Vocational Placement need to be followed very closely.
The below is a summary for you to note and action as soon as you are informed of enrolment:
- Annual Influenza Vaccination
- For placement at a Queensland Health Facility - up to date COVID-19 vaccination
Vaccination and screening/testing evidence requirements may alter during your studies, in accordance with changes to industry requirements and/or Australian Immunisation Guidelines.
Depending on where your placement is conducted, further checks may be required and your Vocational Placement Coordinator or Teacher will discuss this with you.
Need to know
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.