You must have completed one of the following to enter into this course:
- hold a Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques; or
- hold a relevant Certificate IV or higher level qualification in a relevant science discipline; or
- can demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge in a relevant science discipline to any of the above qualifications.
If you do not have a Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques:
- and are approved for direct entry, you must still complete all 15 units in the Diploma of Laboratory Technology (plus any pre-requisite units), either by course work. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), or credit transfer. Additional units completed by course work or RPL will increase the cost and duration of your course by up to 12 months.
- and are not approved for direct entry, you must successfully complete the Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques before enrolling in the Diploma of Laboratory Technology.
Full-time delivery: Due to the high-level content of this course, competency in mathematics, science and English (equivalent to Year 10 or above) are highly desirable but not a requirement. If you’re under 17 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply.
No specific resources are required to successfully complete this course.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
Need to know
Upgrade to Diploma Program
This option is available to students who have successfully completed the Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques and wish to upgrade to the Diploma of Laboratory Technology.
Please note: at a minimum your Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques must contain the following units, plus at least two diploma level electives (units coded at 5000 or above) or you may need additional semesters of study to complete the full diploma:
- MSL924003 Process and interpret data
- MSL934004 Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment
- MSL973016 Perform aseptic techniques
- MSL974019 Perform chemical tests and procedures
- MSL974021 Perform biological procedures
To achieve this upgrade program, the following units will need to be successfully completed:
- MSL924004 Use laboratory application software
- MSL925004 Analyse date and report results
- MSL935007 Monitor the quality of test results and data
- MSL975034 Perform molecular biology tests and procedures
- MSL975039 Apply electrophoretic techniques
- MSL975040 Apply routine chromatographic techniques