To enter this qualification, students must produce a folio imaging work that demonstrates the application of technical skills and knowledge equivalent to Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level 4 or above.
Skills and knowledge may have been acquired through experience, or through formal study.
Domestic and International students
To apply for this course you must present a collection of work, which demonstrates an interest in art and design. Folio pieces may include both hand rendered and computer-generated images, through the use of software from the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite. You may also wish to include developmental sketches and process work as well as the finished work.
If you are under 17 years of age, special enrolment conditions apply.
Portfolio compulsory items:
Your folio should include 5-7 pieces of photographic work of your choice and a brief rationale per image demonstrating your technical skills and knowledge. These could include but are not limited to:
- Abstract design / composition
- Digitally enhanced
The work must have been produced in the last 18 months.
You must submit this electronically based on your study location:
Please note: Electronic Files should not exceed 5mb. Website links, multiple submissions and zipped files will be accepted due to the size limitation.
N.B Students who have completed the CUA31115 or CUA31120 Cert III in Visual Arts or CUA30720 Cert III in Design Fundamentals may use their work as a portfolio.
The following Selection criteria requirements apply only to International Students:
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 5.5 (no individual band less than 5.0) or ISLPR 2+ on all skills or other - For a list of all English Language tests accepted by TAFE Queensland International
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 12 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You will also be required to have access to and bring to class:
- portable external hard drive (500MG minimum)
- 35mm DSLR camera or mirrorless camera with two interchangeable lenses (that can be operated manually for shutter speed, aperture and focus) - for the purpose of the qualification the Nikon D850 or D750 or a Canon 650D or 5D meet the minimum standards required
- a colour checker passport for use with the camera
- Black White 35mm Film ISO 400 minimum 24 frames (could be: Kodak Tmax400, Kodak Tri X 400TX, Ilford HP5 plus, Ilford Delta 400)
- 35mm film camera (if you can source one)
Please note: throughout the duration of the program, you may also be required to incur printing costs up to the value of $500.
It is also recommended that you have access to a computer capable of running Adobe Creative Suite software. This software can be purchased after enrolment to access a student discount price.