There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to domestic students:
Due to the sensitive and complex nature of the course content (mental health, addictions, crisis help etc), it is highly recommended that students are aged 17 or older by the course commencement date. Students will also need to be self-motivated and have sound English skills.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 6.0 (no individual band less than 6.0) or ISLPR 3 on all skills or other - For a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International.
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 12 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place.
No specific resources are required to successfully complete this course.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
You will need to complete a minimum of 160 hours of Vocational Placement in an approved workplace as part of this qualification.
Prior to placement you will need to receive and provide evidence of the following checks:
- You must complete your online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application and nominate TAFE Queensland as you’re your employer). There is no cost to students and TAFE Queensland can verify you as a student.
- You must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes). Upon completion, you will need to provide your Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and your placement provider.
- Additionally, if you work with children on placement, you will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check (Blue Card in Queensland).
You can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal noted above NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
Depending on where your placement is conducted, further checks may be required and your Vocational Placement Coordinator or Teacher can discuss this with you on an individual basis.
Need to know
For all students who are undertaking courses that include Vocational Placements in a high risk workplace, Queensland Health has directed that students must declare your COVID-19 Vaccination status and evidence to either TAFE Queensland or the placement provider.
This may require you providing us or the placement provider information on:
- Your vaccinate status
- Last date of vaccination
- Evidence of vaccine status
This requirement is in place for all students in affected courses, including TAFE at School students.
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
International important information
Please note this program is comprised of units which include topics covering sensitive material and discussion (eg. mental health, substance misuse, trauma including family violence, suicide and self-harm).