There are no formal entry requirements for the Certificate III in Animal Studies however, to enter into the Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing, you must:
- hold a Certificate II in Animal Studies; or
- hold a relevant Certificate III or higher level qualification in an animal science discipline; or
- can demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge in a relevant animal science discipline to any of the above qualifications.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to enter into this course;
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 6.0 (no individual band less than 5.5) or ISLPR 3 on all skills or other - View a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International; and
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place. TAFE Queensland has entered an agreement with Union Institute of Language (UIL) to facilitate the provision of the welfare services (fees apply).
Students must be successful in completing Certificate III to progress to Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing as it is a pre-requisite requirement in the package.
You will be required to:
- wear black protective waterproof work shoes and long, black, work pants/trousers for practical days and placement. It is the students’ responsibility to organise the purchase of these items.
- have access to reliable internet connection. TAFE Queensland recommends to bring your own device to undertake the studies.
Students are encouraged to undertake work experience at Animal Welfare League Queensland, Shelter Road, Coombabah in order to enrich their studies. Students are expected to organise their own transport to and from the work experience facility.
Upon Commencement of Certificate IV studies:
- You must successfully complete 240 hours of vocational placement throughout the duration of the program. This is a mandatory industry requirement for ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing.
- You must attend vocational placement dates and times as negotiated between all parties. Our Vocational Placement Team will work in collaboration with facilities to coordinate your vocational placement assessment requirements. If you have made prior placement arrangements with a clinic or are currently working in the industry, please contact us to discuss this further.
You are responsible for:
- Making yourself available for an allocated placement
- Organising your own transport to and from study and vocational placement
- Organising leave with your employer (if applicable)
- Planning financially for your unpaid vocational placement
Certificate III in Animal Care Services
Stage 1 - 80 hours Work Experience (optional)
Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing
Stage 2 – 120 hours Vocational Placement
Stage 3 – 120 hours Vocational Placement
If you are not currently employed or volunteering in industry, during your course you will be required to complete vocational placement so you can start practising your new skills in a real-world environment. You’ll be required to work shifts determined by your placement provider, and these can include early mornings or late nights, any day of the week, including public holidays. TAFE Queensland may be able to assist in arranging suitable placements.
Completing placement is compulsory, and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete your shifts. You may be expected to travel up to one hour to attend your vocational placement facility and will be responsible for all costs associated with attending that facility. Due to limitations on placement availability, TAFE Queensland cannot guarantee proximity to your location.
You are required to complete 240 hours of placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
Please note: prior to placement you may need to complete a Criminal History Check (yellow card); this will be confirmed by your course educator.
If your police check identifies that you have a criminal history, you may be disqualified from being eligible to undertake placement and assessment,
which would affect your course outcomes. If you think this might impact you, please speak to the relevant Vocational Placement Coordinator for further information.
You will be responsible for any costs associated with meeting these placement requirements.
Need to know
For all students who are undertaking courses that include Vocational Placements in a high risk workplace, Queensland Health has directed that students must declare your COVID-19 Vaccination status and evidence to either TAFE Queensland or the placement provider.
This may require you providing us or the placement provider information on:
- Your vaccinate status
- Last date of vaccination
- Evidence of vaccine status
This requirement is in place for all students in affected courses, including TAFE at School students.
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.
If you have any questions or concerns with this requirement, please contact our COVID hotline on 07 3307 4789.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Working in certain jobs increases your exposure to some vaccine-preventable diseases. The National Health and Medical Research Council recommends the following vaccinations in line with the Queensland Government’s Occupational immunisations for veterinary students:
- Tetanus vaccine
International important information
The advertised course cost and duration will be broken down as per the following: