• Home
  • information-forinternational-studentshow-to-applyvisa-information

In order to study in Australia you will need to apply for a student visa. A student visa is granted to students who are enrolled in a CRICOS registered, full-time course in Australia. If you intend on travelling to and from Australia within your student visa period, you may be able to receive a multiple entry visa for the duration of your study in Australia.

For further information on student visa requirements and the application process, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Conditions of your student visa

Once you've been granted your visa, you need to be aware of your rights and responsibilities while you are living in Australia on a student visa. Not meeting these conditions could result in your visa being cancelled and you needing to leave the country.

Conditions of your student visa:

  • Maintain enrolment in a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registered course and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance.
  • Continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa, for example that you still have sufficient financial capacity to support your stay in Australia.
  • Notify TAFE Queensland within seven days of any change to your contact details, including home address, mobile number and email address.
  • Must not work more than 40 hours per fortnight during course semesters.
  • Maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entirety of your stay in Australia.
  • Maintain adequate schooling arrangements for any school-age dependents who joined you in Australia on a student dependent visa for more than three months.
  • You must not be involved in activities that are disruptive to, or violent towards, the Australian community.

Students under 18

There are additional specific visa conditions for international students under who are under 18 years of age. If you have not turned 18, you must maintain adequate arrangements for your accommodation, support, and general welfare for the duration of your stay in Australia.

To maintain adequate arrangements for your welfare you must stay in Australia with your parent, legal custodian, or a relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character. Once these arrangements have been finalised, you cannot change them without the written approval of TAFE Queensland.

Underage students must meet with an International Student Support Advisor in the first week of your studies and on a regular basis as requested by TAFE Queensland.