There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
The following selection criteria requirements apply only to International students:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to enter into this course;
- English Language Proficiency: Academic IELTS 5.5 (no individual band less than 5.0) or ISLPR 2+ on all skills or other - For a list of all English Language test accepted by TAFE Queensland International; and
- Academic Requirements: Completion of Year 10 (or equivalent). Non school-leavers must have relevant work experience or qualification that indicates likely success of course completion. For more information on the international education achievement levels equivalent to Year 10 and 12.
Applicants should be a minimum of 17 years of age and turning 18 during the first year of study with TAFE Queensland. International students who are under 18 years of age and are applying for a student visa are required by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs to have adequate welfare arrangements in place. TAFE Queensland has entered an agreement with Union Institute of Language (UIL) to facilitate the provision of the welfare services (fees apply).
It is recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
Courses may require different resources, depending on your study location.
Students will be required to bring the following items to class:
- Paper, pens, pencils, an eraser and a highlighter
- Folder for handouts and assignments
- Rubber dishwashing gloves
- Gardening gloves
- 8 metre retractable tape measure
- Calculator (only for certain modules)
Please do not purchase any equipment until you have spoken with your teachers in your first week of study.
Personal Safety Requirements:
The following items represent the minimum standard of dress and equipment, which will provide adequate protection against certain hazards in the work environment and ensure compliance with the Workplace Health and Safety Act. All students must have the following items on the first day of TAFE attendance:
- Protective footwear to comply with AS2210 - Steel capped boots
- Protective clothing to comply with the Institute Safety Policy - Neat casual clothing
- Broad brimmed hat
- Ear Muffs or Plugs
- Non-fogging Safety Glasses
- Water bottle
Need to know
The qualification AHC50616 has been replaced by AHC50621 - Diploma of Landscape Design, as of 14 February 2022. A transition period applies to enable current students to complete their study. The transition period finishes on 13 February 2023.
International important information
The advertised course cost and duration will be broken down as per the following:
- Certificate II in Horticulture - duration - 6 months, cost - $6,200
- Certificate III in Horticulture - duration - 6 months, cost - $6,800
- Diploma of Landscape Design - duration 1 year, cost - $21,500