There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
It is highly recommended that students:
- Are aged 15 years or older by the course commencement date; and
- Have successfully completed Year 10 (or equivalent) Mathematics and English.
- Possess sound computer literacy skills.
It is recommended that you have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader. This equipment and software is available for use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
If applicable you will be provided with a recommended reading list and/or required textbooks during orientation or at the start of each unit. The purchase of these resources may incur additional costs, or you may be able to borrow them from the TAFE Queensland library network.
You are responsible for meeting the minimum standard of dress. For placement this includes having access to and wearing appropriate attire including black or navy pants and fully enclosed shoes. You may also be required to purchase TAFE Queensland branded uniform items (including a polo shirt), which may incur additional costs of approximately $35.00. If applicable more details will be provided after enrolment or during orientation.
Students are advised that they will need to evidence full COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses) to attend the mandatory vocational placement assessment components of this course.The vaccines received must be approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration for use in Australia or endorsed by the WHO-COVAX if vaccinated overseas.
Completing placement is compulsory, and you will be expected to manage family and work commitments in order to complete your shifts. You are required to complete 120 hours of placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
Prior to Placement, you will need to receive and provide evidence of the following checks:
- You must complete your online NDIS Worker Screening Clearance application and nominate TAFE Queensland as you’re your employer). There is no cost to students and TAFE Queensland can verify you as a student.
- You must also complete the NDIS Worker Orientation Online Modules (4 modules/approximately 90 minutes). Upon completion, you will need to provide your Certificate of Completion to both TAFE Queensland and your placement provider.
- Additionally, if you work with children on placement, you will also need a Blue Card Working with Children Check (Blue Card in Queensland).
You can apply for both the NDIS Worker Screening Clearance and Blue Card by completing a combined application via the NDIS Worker Screening portal noted above NDIS Worker Screening Unit (WSU).
Please note: TAFE Queensland wishes to warn you, as a Blue Card applicant, that it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application. For further information regarding 'disqualified' persons, please contact Blue Card Services.
You will also be required to ensure that you have the:
- Influenza Vaccination: Annual vaccination.
- Full COVID-19 Vaccination – evidence of 2 vaccinations of a type approved by Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australia, or endorsed by the World Health Organisation. Students are advised that a booster may be deemed an additional requirement by health providers
Need to know
For all students who are undertaking courses that include Vocational Placements in a high risk workplace, Queensland Health has directed that students must declare your COVID-19 Vaccination status and evidence to either TAFE Queensland or the placement provider.
This may require you providing us or the placement provider information on:
- Your vaccinate status
- Last date of vaccination
- Evidence of vaccine status
This requirement is in place for all students in affected courses, including TAFE at School students.
Those students who have a medical contraindication may be unable to complete the vocational placement component of their course. This means you may not be able to meet all of the requirements of your course and may not be able to graduate or receive your qualification.
If you have any questions or concerns with this requirement, please contact our COVID hotline on 07 3307 4789.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When studying online it is strongly recommended students follow the order of study and enrol in no more than two units per intake or the units required to complete one cluster/stage, unless otherwise advised.